A couple of years ago over Summer, I went on a trip with the family. It had been a while since we had all gotten together like this. So needless to say, I was really excited to see everyone and I knew it was going to be great. We were heading to the beach for a long weekend, and the drive was a beautiful start. When we had gotten to the hotel, it looked absolutely wonderful from the outside. Even when you walked into the lobby area it seemed not a thing was out of place and the temperature nice and cool. The receptionist took our names and handed us our room keys with directions on where to go. Upon entering the room, you could feel the warmth and smell the musty moldy smell of standing water. We dropped our bags on the bed and looked at the air conditioning unit on the wall. We had noticed it was on but no air was coming out at all and water was dripping from the bottom. We called the front desk right away to make them aware of the broken air conditioner unit and the horrible smell in the room. They returned our call about ten minutes later to let us know an HVAC technician would be coming up to our room to take a look at it. I was a little upset with this situation because we had reservations we were going to be late due to this broken air conditioner. The HVAC technician was there taking a look at the water dripping on the floor and assured us he would have this fixed by the time we were ready to stay in for the night.